Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Can I pierce my ears?

My Pastor tells me that I should not pierce my ears. He quotes Deu 19:28 and says that God hates piercing our ears. But I have my ears pierced and I wear earrings. Now should I remove the ear rings and follow what my pastor says?



Answer:

Your pastor is totally wrong. The verse he quotes talks about piercing for the dead and also piercing the ears of slaves. Bible never tells us that one should not pierce the ears or one should not adorn jewellery.

The problem lies in how Pastors link 1 Timothy 2:9 with Deu 19:28 

1 Timothy 2:9 says this " Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire"

1 Timothy 2:9 is not at all saying that women should not wear jewellery. It is actually telling what should be the priority.

There are some denominations that give importance to external looks. Some denominations use a couple of verses according to their own understanding and say that wearing jewels is wrong. It is also an effort by many pastors and teachers to stop excessive tattoos and excessive body piercing which is becoming a trend.

What ever you do, do it for the glory of God.

- Voice in the desert

1 comments:

  1. Some women or men wear ear rings to get attention or over do it. I don't think it is a great issue. But if ear rings become a idol issue, beware. Like god like ornaments, and the person forgets God. These are the scriptures on the issue: Gen.24:22,30,47;, Job 42;11;, Pro.25;12;, Gen.35;4;, Ex.32;2,3;, Num.31;50;, Judg.8;24-26;, Is.3;20;, Eze 16;12;, and Hos.2;13;

    ReplyDelete